SINGAPORE – Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd is pleased to announce the launch of the new Speedlight SB-500, a Speedlight that packs performance features in a small, portable and user-friendly package for both the DX- and FX-format camera models*1.
The SB-500 features a guide number of 24/78.7 (ISO 100, m/ft), based on the angle of view of a 24mm lens (FX-format). The compact and lightweight design makes it extremely portable, and the SB-500 is compatible with readily-available AA-size batteries*2. It also packs a high-performance LED light to make it ideal for recording video in dark environments or to provide additional natural light for close-up still shooting.
“The Speedlight SB-500 provides a hassle-free yet powerful flash with the inclusion of a high-performance LED light. Its perfect compatibility with the DX/FX format cameras makes the Speedlight ideal for a wide range of lighting conditions," said Garland Mak, Deputy General Manager of International Marketing Division Imaging Group, Nikon Singapore Pte. Ltd. “The SB-500 is a handy companion that offers photographers and videographers flexibility and performance. It boasts illumination capable of covering an angle of view of a 24mm lens in a small, highly portable build that relies on only two AA batteries*2.”
1. Portable and Powerful
• Pocket-sized power: The SB-500 is both lightweight and compact, weighing in at 273g (with batteries) and is compatible with readily-available R6/AA-size batteries*2.
• Flexible aim: The flash head tilts up to 90° and rotates horizontally 180° to the left or right, giving the photographer the ability to bounce the light off nearby surfaces to provide more balanced lighting conditions and for a more natural appearance devoid of harsh shadows.
2. LED for Natural Tones and Movie Recording
• Bright lighting for video: The SB-500 includes a powerful LED light with an output of approximately 100lux, making it extremely effective for movie recording in dark environments or balancing the light for close-up still shooting. This level makes the SB-500 LED light one of the brightest among products that rely on two AA-size batteries*2.
• Selectable output: The LED light delivers illumination covering the same angle of view as a 24mm lens (FX-format), and provides uniform light distribution across three output levels (Low, Mid, High). A diffuser can also be employed to provide soft, even light.
• Faithful color rendering: One advantage of the LED light is its superior color rendering performance, which provides faithful reproduction of a subject’s color. A color temperature of 5400K resembles the output of sunlight, so the SB-500 can be used as an auxiliary light during outdoor shooting to achieve optimal results. A color information communication function sets the most appropriate white balance when the SB-500 is attached to the D810 or D750, making it easy to achieve the perfect color balance for every shot.
3. Powerful Features with Simple Operation
• Straightforward control: The SB-500 is also designed to be simple while delivering outstanding results, and the buttons and switches are intuitive, to provide access to powerful features that will help any photographer capture the perfect image.
• Wide compatibility and flexible configuration: The SB-500 features support for Nikon's Creative Lighting System*1, adaptable to both i-TTL flash and manual flash control while also capable of operating as a remote flash in Advanced Wireless Lighting. When used with cameras featuring a flash commander mode, the SB-500 also acts as a master flash with the Advanced Wireless Lighting.
*1 The following cameras are compatible with the Speedlight SB-500:
Cameras compatible with Creative Lighting System: Nikon FX-/DX-format digital SLRs (except D1 series or D100) *A, F6, CLS-compatible COOLPIX models (A, P7800, P7700, P7100*A, *B, P7000*A, *B, P6000*A)
*A: Manual flash mode is not supported with the D3 series, D2 series, D200, D80, D70 series, D50, F6, P7100, P7000, P6000.
*B: With COOLPIX P7100/P7000, only flash is available when the SB-500 is attached. When using the LED light, detach the SB-500 from the camera.
Cameras compatible with commander (CMD) mode: D810, D750
Cameras compatible with i-TTL flash control only: COOLPIX models of P5100, P5000, E8800, E8700, E8400
*2 Rechargeable Ni-MH and alkaline manganese batteries
The Nikon Speedlight SB-500 will be available in starting in mid-September 2014. For more information on the Speedlight SB-500 and other Nikon products, please visit http://www.nikon-asia.com.
Nikon, At the Heart of the Image. Nikon is the world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology and is globally recognised for setting new standards in product design and performance for its award-winning consumer and professional photographic equipment. Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd distributes consumer and professional digital SLR cameras, NIKKOR optics, Speedlights and system accessories; Nikon COOLPIX compact digital cameras; Nikon sports optics as well as the Nikon 1 advanced cameras with interchangeable lens system in over 50 countries. For more information, visit http://nikon-asia.com. Connect with Nikon and other photographers on Facebook at www.facebook.com/NikonAsia and get the latest news and information from Twitter by following @NikonAsia.